Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

We finished most of our school this week! That's a good feeling of accomplishment. We learned about tornadoes and hurricanes, the Greeks and first Olympiad, and how fun adding to our timeline can be. We did have a revelation though. It is OK to change when something isn't working. You don't have to stick with something just because you purchased it. That is one of the many beauties of homeschooling. We are running in to this with our language arts.

Now let me preface this by saying that I absolutely adore how our language arts curriculum is taught. You learn to read by both phonics and sight words, and you learn grammar and composition by copying passages from what you have read. It helps reinforce everything when you tie it together through multiple subjects.

To get to my point of why we are struggling. The books used are very old verbiage (think nag for a horse) and have multiple names that sound similar (Hal, Val, Sam, Pam, etc). I am lost at what is going on. Imagine how a 6 year old feels! How overwhelming. He was crying when I pulled this book out. Learning how to read, or really learning anything, should never equate to tears.

With all of that said, I did some research. And I came across a program that I think is going to work wonderfully. It trades off reading between the teacher and student, there are activity sheets, and lesson plans. Best of all? It is free. The more I look at this program, the more I can see it working beautifully for us. We ordered a new printer as ours broke in the move. As soon as it arrives, we'll get started!

We also started Tee-ball this week! The boys absolutely loved it. They had such a great time. We could have done without the 90+ degree weather, but we can't control that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's All Greek To Me

From This Moment

New school year