Preparation

First day of school is tomorrow!  The boys have been asking to start school all week. It is always a feeling of elation when your kids are excited for school. But, it is also a real fearful feeling that I am sure near every homeschool parent has. We have it ingrained that public school is best and we as parents aren't educated enough to school our own children, which was done for centuries. The main question most homeschooling parents often ask after deciding homeschooling is the right move for them?

"Am I doing enough?"

Am I? Have I figured it out to give them their best education experience? The logical answer to me is always yes. I know that we are doing what is best for them. They have so much to learn though and it is a big undertaking. Taking on your child's entire education is daunting, but thrilling, all at the same time. One of the most amazing things I have thought of is that God has entrusted these children to us. No one else. It is our job to decide what is best for them. And he has absolutely granted me the ability to educate our children. No one knows them better. What they need, what they want to discover more, what excites them, discourages them. That is the beauty in what we do, that I can encourage them each in their own way that suits their educational needs .

We overall love homeschooling. We have our days that are more challenging than others, but as a whole, it is a wonderful experience. I am excited for all we will do this year together. I know they will flourish under our curriculum and we will all grow so much, together.

The most important aspect though is that this is what God has called us to. As hard as it can be some days, I find that when I focus on what God wants for us, it isn't near as stressful. It is enjoyable. When I spend that intimate time with Him, I can love my kids better because I am showing them His love, which is perfect and unfailing; where I fail and fall short, He never does. We will be starting our mornings with our bible reading so we can all get in the right mindset and focus on our day.

Jonny will be covering History, Bible, Literature, Math, Science, Reading, Handwriting, and Geography. Our main focus this year in our history is on different cultures in the world. Greece, Egypt, Rome, Medieval Times, The two world wars, and many more! Science will focus on biology, botany, and physics. This is all in first grade! He is most excited for science. One of the other things he is most excited for is the brand new hands-on kit to reinforce what we are learning. He will get to build an Obelisk, Catapult, Telegraph, Volcano, and more! This will be so enjoyable to add to our school year.

Artie will be working on numbers and handwriting, letters and sounds, all while going through some really fun books that deal with fairy tales, things people do, things our body does, and animals. He is excited to be doing school like big brother.  We'll be explaining more as we go on through each week of what we are doing.

We also start swim lessons back up this week too! I am so grateful to live in an area where our kids are afforded these great opportunities.

Here is to our new school year and all we will accomplish this coming year... Well, at least for this week. One week at a time, sometimes it's one day at a time, and others it's an hour at a time. The beauty here though is we have the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's All Greek To Me

From This Moment

New school year